31 January 2009

New Year's Eve at the Alm

The New Year's adventure began with a two hour trek up a curvy snow-covered road to a cow farm with no electricity, but instead bright stars in the silent wintry night. Halfway up the slippery slopes I had to remind myself that the carting the heavy backpack like a pack animal along Alpine trails was worth it because of the future enjoyment of the champagne and gluwein...

Myself and my fellow six Austrians spent the next two days and nights 'round the kitchen table with candles, a wood stove, and lots of beverages keeping us nice and toasty. I taught everyone Hearts and explained the popularity of mustaches and mustache parties back in my native land. Meanwhile I was gifted with renditions of the German dialect of Tirolian farmers and heard complicated translations of simple jokes.

For the big year turnover, we lit up paper lanterns and watched them fade away into the distance, carrying our wishes and blessings to faraway lands. Meanwhile all the valleys below were filled with bright multi-colored flashes as people celebrated with explosions all around.

No comments: